Are you forecasting events and fundraising for the year? Interested in hosting a Read-A-Thon at your school?
Line up your Read-A-Thon with special awareness days that are happening throughout the year.
- September 25th – National Comic Book Day
- September 27th – World Tourism Day (Choose to “Read Across the World” or “Read Across Canada” and expose children to tourism and geography topics)
- October 5th – World’s Teacher Day
- October 16th – Dictionary Day (Dictionary Day honours Noah Webster, who wrote the first dictionary. Born on October 16th, 1758, Mr. Webster had a great love for the English language. He invented the dictionary in 1806 to help people to use a wider variety of words in their daily conversations. This is a day to have fun, explore the English language, and recognize the importance of growing your vocabulary!)
- October 22nd – Canadian School Library Day
- November 8th – International Tongue Twister Day (International Tongue Twister Day falls on a Sunday this year but can be celebrated in a classroom or school on any day!)
- November 15th to 19th – Geography Awareness Week
- November 22nd to 28th – Canadian History Week
- January 4th – World Braille Day (In honour of Louis Braille, who was born on January 4th, 1809.)
- January 24th – International Day of Education
- January 27th – Family Literacy Day (Family Literacy Day was created by ABC Life Literacy Canada in 1999. This day reminds us of the importance of involving families in life-long learning and literacy activities. Celebrated across the country in schools, libraries, homes, and community centres, Family Literacy Day is an opportunity to share in the joy of reading, writing, listening, speaking, viewing, and representing.)
- February 26th – Tell a Fairy Tale Day
- March 2nd – Dr. Seuss Day (On this day in 1904, Theodor Seuss Geisel, better known as Dr. Seuss, was born.)
- May 3rd to May 9th – Screen Free Week/National Child and Youth Mental Health Week (This one would go great with our “Read-A-Thon Scratch Card Fundraiser”.)
- May 18th – National Museum Day
- June 8th – National Best Friends Day (It is a day when we let our “besties” know that we care about them and that we appreciate their friendship, perhaps do a “Read-A-Thon” together!)
Other theme you could tie it into and pick your own week that works for your school:
- Favourite Book Character Day (the students dress up as their favourite book character one day during the Read-A-Thon weeks.)
Have any questions about our Read-A-Thon Fundraising Programs?